Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Lookin' Good Shamrock Strut 5K - March 16, 2013


This is my second year to participate in the Lookin' Good Shamrock Strut in Houston, Texas, but this year I had the honor of running it with my dad for his first 5K race.  We were also celebrating his St. Patrick's Day birthday the following day so it was an extra special occasion.

There should really be more green at the start line!

I puchaed us new green running shirts and a couple of shamrock accessories to wear to the race so that we would be in the St. Patrick's Day spirit.  Some people really go all out for this race and I love it!  We arrived pretty early to pick up our packets since I wasn't able to do so during the week.  It was a cool, breezy morning--perfect running weather.  I was really pleased because my dad usually runs on a treadmill so I was worried about the possibility of a muggy, warm run on his first race.

Great job Dad!

We had a great run and I had a good time teaching my dad about race/road ettiquete.  Dad was a trooper throughout the race and ran most of the course.  We decided if he quit smoking it would definitely improve his pace and endurance though!  Regardless, he did fantastic for his first 5K, the day before his 62nd birthday.  He always tells me how proud he is of me for running and now I get to return the sentiment.  He has already signed up for his second race next month and I can't wait to see how he does.


The post-race festivites were similiar to last year's and were nice.  The food and drinks were perfect and just what I needed.  I had a cream cheese kolache and fruit from The Kolache Factory.  There was also popcorn and assorted other drinks and snacks.  Bounce houses and games were set up for the kids again and Luke's Locker was there to take a complimentary race photo.  There was also a raffle but we didn't stick around for that.  I'll definitely consider doing the Lookin' Good Shamrock Strut next year unless I am too tempted by the Seabrook Lucky Trails Half Marathon that was my other St. Patrick's Day weekend race this year.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a lot of fun...I need to start signing up for races I guess. :-) Glad to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my New Year's resolutions was to write more. It is the only one I am failing at so far!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete