Sunday, February 26, 2012

ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run 5K - February 2012

The ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run 5K and 10K was an amazing race experience even though I was severely hungover from a crazy night. I participated in the 5K run. My only disappointment was that the 10K was chip-timed and the 5K was not. I'm sure that information was on the registration but I completely overlooked it--not a huge deal.

5K participants at the Start

The weather was fantastic, a chilly clear day. I thought the late start time strange when I registered but it was welcomed considering how I spent the previous night. The race had a record 15,000 participants for the event which included 10K and 5K runners and 5K walkers.

The race organizers did a good job of letting the crowd know that the walkers should hold back until all the runners had started, but of course there are always people who are oblivious a don't listen to instructions. This means there was a lot of dodging and weaving in and out of people who were on a leisurely stroll with their families. Again, not a huge deal and something to be expected when signing up for a race with that many participants, some of which are walkers. It was tons of fun regardless.




The course went through downtown Houston starting at Bayou Place and ending at Minute Maid Park's parking lot. The race organizers did an amazing job at putting together a high energy, fun race course. There were lots of great bands playing, rodeo clowns and cowboys on stilts lining the streets. I even heard a female vocalist playing "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" in front of Minute Maid and you know that means I was loudly singing my way to the finish.






The after party was well organized and had lots to offer. Loved this race so much and will definitely participate in it again, though hopefully next time I won't be nursing a hangover. Awesome race, with awesome people!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Houston, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment